About to forget
Shigeo Fukuda / Fukuda San (1932 – 2009)
In the video below, Shigeo Fukuda’s sculpture appears as an assembled mass of welded forks, knives, and spoons. Eventually, the shadowy form of the intended work unveils itself and leaves a glimpse of Fukuda’s concept.
- “…Traditionally, Japanese designers looked to the West for innovative solutions. This is no longer the case. The winds are shifting toward an easterly direction. Shigeo Fukuda, Japan’s Houdini of Design, is a welcome part of the shifting breeze. His visual originality and deep dedication to worthwhile causes help keep the sun shining brightly over our ever changing, complex world.” — excerpt from biography by
- (c. 1987)
- Shigeo Fukuda was a sculptor, designer and optical illusionist. He was also the first Japanese designer inducted into the Art Directors Club Hall of Fame.
- Mind-Bending Optical Illusions (darkroastedblend.com)
- What 6 Items Will Japan and China Talk about When PM Fukuda Visits? (panasianbiz.com)
- You: Anyone for tennis? (search.japantimes.co.jp)