According to Mashable’s Dev & Design blog, the “5 Hot Design Trends for Aspiring Bloggers” are:
- More Complex Layouts “… the magazine layout is the new hotness” Jason Santos examples
- Fonts Galore – “… our choices when it comes to lettering have ballooned” Typekit, Google Font API
- Lots of White Space – “… the most popular themes on Tumblr… are heavy on the white.” Popular Tumblr Themes
- Going Social – “… the more open realm of commenting is still extremely attractive to users,” Matt Mullenweg founding developer of WordPress
- Go easy on the Widgets – “… a whole lot of buttons and badges can detract not only from the cosmetic appearance of your blog, they can also confuse your readers.” Success of the Facebook “Like Button“
This list is part of a larger series that Mashable is developing called, “Web Design Trends Series – News and Reviews” which has a lot of quality information, tips and analysis.